Hong Kong Card. Joseph Zen and B39 author Gianni Criveller touring Italy to talk on Hong Kong and China
Hong Kong outspoken Cardinal Joseph Zen and Beyond Thirty-Nine author Gianni Criveller are set to start a series of talks on Hong Kong and China in various Italian cities. May 11 – 24, 2015. Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun, the Bishop emeritus of Hong Kong, is one of the contemporary Chinese most influential and internationally well-known figures.
The program is promoted by the “Bergamo Festival of Culture”, a two weeks cultural kermesse, dedicated to the theme of “Building Peace. World’s Boundaries and Human Hopes”. http://www.bergamofestival.it/index.php
The Festival of Culture, located in Bergamo, one of the most splendid Middle Ages cities in Italy, is conceived and organized by entrepreneur Casto Jannotta. The international festival has gained a solid recognition and much prestige since its inception in 2010.
The speakers, coming from different walks of life, offer personal witnesses and in-depth reflections. Themes such as justice, economy, technology, religion… are explored for their relevance in the building of peace among cultures and nations in the age of globalization.
- One of the main guests is Hong Kong outspoken Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun, introduced and interviewed by Gianni Criveller. The cardinal will speak on the recent political and social developments in Hong Kong and on Catholicism and religious freedom in China. The important event is at the Centro Congressi Giovanni XXIII, Bergamo, on May 17, at 18:00.
- Gianni Criveller will speak at the same Festival on May 14, at 20:30, in the little town of Sotto Il Monte, universally known as hometown of pope John XXIII. Criveller will illustrate the contribution of missionaries to the construction of peace and justice in both Hong Kong and China.
- The tour of card. Zen and Criveller continues in the city of Verona, May 19, 20:30 in the context of the Biblical Festival. Cardinal Joseph Zen speaks on the sorry plight of Catholics in China and on Hong Kong recent demonstration for democracy. Gianni Criveller interviews the Cardinal, while Gerolamo Fazzini presents the “Red book of the Chinese martyrs”, published by EMI (Bologna).
- Finally Card. Joseph Zen and Gianni Criveller will be speaking in Milan, at the well-known PIME Cultural Centre, on May 20, 21:00. The topic of the much anticipated evening is quite stimulating: “Where is China going? Democracy, human rights and religious freedom”.
Gianni Criveller will be speaking also in
- Torino: May 11, 21:00, at the Theological Faculty of Northern Italy, on “Challenges and Hopes for Christianity in China”;
- Trento: May 18, 17:30, at Centro Martino Martini on “Catholics in China between persecutions and hopes”;
- Vicenza: May 24, 15:00, at Vigardolo Monticello Conte Otto on “Conversations on Hong Kong and China”.